It’s been a rough year and a half. After graduating, my life got stuck in this bleak hole. I moved back to my parents’ house from San Francisco and not long after I couldn’t find the motivation to push my life forward. I’ve been stuck in this insecure and unhealthy limbo. In short, I lost a lot of the hard working, confident and courageous aspects of myself. And I haven’t been giving my all to try and find those qualities again.
I wake up and go to sleep thinking about how I need to change but then tomorrow becomes today and today becomes yesterday. There are so many exciting events that I’m looking forward to this year that I don’t want plagued by this version of myself that I’ve become.
My goals for 2017 revolve around growing and moving forward. I need to push my life to mean something again – these are my goals for the year that I’m hoping get me there:
- Write more. Write the good, the bad, the ugly – just write! I want to finish writing a short story and submit it to literary magazines. I want to finally commit and post consistently on this blog.
- Save money. My parents have been most gracious letting me live with them without the obligation of paying rent. But, I want to save money this year towards a car and a down payment on a condo. I thought about moving into an apartment because of how badly I crave my own space but it would be better for me in the long run to save and put money into a place I could eventually own.
- Improve relationships. I’ve become too distant with friends and rarely put myself in social situations which I know comes back to my insecurities and anxieties. I want to build past and new relationships this year. I want to laugh and experience more. And if a nerdy prince charming happens to finally appear, so be it.
- Improve health. To be frank, a great part of my insecurities comes down to my weight. Back in San Francisco, walking was all I did to get from point A to point B. I lost this when I moved back to LA. I’ve gained a lot and not only do I see it, it’s also taken a toll on how my body feels; the energy and motivation is just not there anymore.
- Career. I’m a receptionist at the moment and even though growing in this company could be beneficial money wise, my heart’s not in it. I crave creativity. I love to learn and I loved going to school. So I’m going to be working towards going back whether by grad school or making strides to getting my teaching credential.
I know these are pretty heavy goals and I already accepted that they won’t be obtained quick and they won’t get done perfectly. But, I’ll be proud of myself if I at least give it my all to reaching them.
2017 goals of your own? I’d love to hear about them and show my support! Sí, se puede!